Detroit Diesel DD5 Engine
The Detroit Diesel DD5 is a more efficient medium-duty engine than ever before. With a four cylinder engine that has held even with six cylinder models in its class, the DD5 aims to further decrease the cost of ownership for any truck it’s equipped within.
The new technology behind this engine allows for longer maintenance intervals. Trucks tested with the DD5 were able to safely drive 45,000 miles between oil changes, and the DD5 has a B10 lifespan of 400,000 miles.
“We are excited to unveil the DD5 here at the NTEA Work Truck Show and offer customers their first look at what is a proud new addition to the Detroit engines lineup,” said Kary Schaefer, general manager marketing and strategy, Daimler Trucks North America. “We fully expect that as customers come to realize the total cost advantage of running these reliable and efficient DD5 engines in their fleets, they will Demand Detroit as the engine of choice as they have with the heavy duty DD13, DD15, and DD16 engines.”
The DD5 also has these features:
• An advanced, high-pressure common rail fuel system
• An optional high-performance integrated engine brake
• A variable-speed fan and advanced cooling system providing shorter fan-on times for increased fuel efficiency
• A B10 life of 400,000 miles
• Simple, fixed-geometry, dual-stage turbo for performance, efficiency, and reliability
• A robust rear gear train
• Variable cam-phasing technology for efficient after-treatment system performance
• The Detroit™ Connect Virtual Technician℠ remote diagnostic system to maximize uptime
• 2017 Greenhouse Gas (GHG17) and 2016 OBD (OBD16) compliance
The DD5 is available primarily in the M2 106 model of Freightliner truck. This blend of power and efficiency is ideal for municipal uses, from fire and emergency service to government work and construction tasks.